Friday, May 29, 2009

Kubb! A new hobby for me...

Guess what I did last weekend....What, no clue? I'll tell ya... I went Kubbing! (pronounced Koobing) And no I'm not trying to say Clubbing! =)

Kubb is a Swedish game that is now reaching international status. The game didn't catch as much in Canada but it is slowly growing again and hopefully we will see more people playing it in the future. There are a few variants that can be found online.
Above: all the parts needed to play Kubb

A little while back I was looking for more games to make and I found one, completely by accident mind you, that is mostly played outdoors but can be played indoors as well. I was looking more for a board game but my curiosity got piqued. I saw pictures of it being played on grass, sand and even parking lots! From the youngest to the oldest can play it and it can last from 5 minutes (like I found last time I played!) to at least an hour, if not more.

The picture above shows the set up of the game.

To figure out who starts, you can use the traditional flip of a coin or any such method. The object is simple yet can be hard to achieve; you need to knock your opponents Kubb (the 5 pieces standing at each end of the field, see picture above) with one of the 6 Sticks provided for that purpose (bottom right, again, see above picture).

Above: fully decorated set of Kubb

You must bring down all your opponent's Kubbs before you can go for the King. Once the King (biggest playing piece, the one in the very centre) is down, the game is over. Just keep in mind that if you make the King fall before you're supposed to, you lose!

Above: Proof that Kubb can be played anywhere!

Now what got me exited about the game is this one rule; after you knock down one of your opponent's Kubb, they must throw it on your side of the field, where you raise them up and then they try to knock it down themselves. That means if they miss, you get to throw your Stick from the closest Kubb to the King they failed to bring down!

Above: People playing Kubb in winter! Notice the young woman is
throwing the Stick from a Kubb the opponents did not knock down.

One good tip; Try to place your opponent's Kubb close to the King to make it difficult for them to hit it. The closer to the King the better I found.


Above: Swedish students playing Kubb with...Logs!

I strongly encourage you to look into this game. It is not expensive, can have up to 12 players, from a low age to an high age. What could be more fun on a nice day with friends and family then to have a good time?


Herne

3 comments:

  1. I love this game. I have been looking all over the internet to find what kind of wood to use. everywhere says hardwood is best but i don't know where to buy that size of hardwood. what did you use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Landon!

    Cedar is good as it won't rot over the years. My favorite wood to use though is birch or maple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used treated pine and started with 4x4 and trimmed down the "pawns". works great and has lasted fine

    ReplyDelete