Friday, November 12, 2010

Still Got Wood....


Hello folks!

Let me start by saying I am ashamed. It's been two months since I blogged and for that I apologize profusely. I am blogging now so it’s all better now!

But on the other hand, I am kept very busy with orders for Yule and Christmas and will event get to vend at the Yule Craft and Spirit Faire in Ottawa on Dec 11-12th.

So, in my humble opinion, It's a fair trade off...

For quite a while now, I was shopping around for a small, solid and versatile lathe. Not having much room in my workshop, all 3 requirements are essential to me. The funny thing is I found the one I think will fit the bill by pure chance. Coincidence? Methinks not...

While being in a hardware store, a good friend mentioned he had seen one that might fit my needs so I went and had a good look at it. (see picture below)

The model above (HAUSSMANN 4-In. Mini Wood Lathe) looked ok, but I was not very enthused by it for a few reasons...



First, it was lightweight. I mean, VERY lightweight. to the point I would have been afraid of the whole thing shifting while turning harder woods. This would mean bolting it to the bench and take most of my workspace.


Secondly, you can only turn a 4 inch diameter piece on this one, meaning only very small pieces could be made and would restrict my versatility with my creative process.


Thirdly, and most importantly, it only has 3 speeds. This means I have to work within the confinement of those 3 speeds. I prefer to be able to adjust the turning speed of the piece so I can practice some techniques I read about....


I was about to walk away, after making all those mental notes, when I dropped my eyes to the floor and saw the one in the picture below:




Now this model pushes the right buttons for me! Comparing with the points above:
Firstly, the base is cast iron! Hea-Vy! I tried to lift it and I needed both hands so that was reassuring as I know it won't move around while turning.


Secondly, you can turn pieces up to 10 inches in diameter. Major improvement there and you can even buy chucks and faceplates and change them within 1 minute flat.


Thirdly, the speed is fully adjustable. Nuff said there.


On top of that, it has a small light you can flex where you need the light. Never hurts to see where you are removing material...


It also has a longer and better moving rest for holding a chisel, meaning this gives you more flexibility while turning. And it only costs an extra $100.00 for all those advantages. What's not to like, huh? *smile*


Now I just need to save enough money to go get it and start making bowls, plates, plaques, tea light holders, candle holders, boxes, and many, many, many more things...

Until next!
Herne








3 comments:

  1. I personally would love to see you make bowls! It would be great to get a hand crafted offering bowl, or even a small hardwood cauldron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stacy!

    I too would like to see me make things on a lathe! =)

    Once I have the right equipment... The World will know it! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're back. Cant wait to see what you carve up in this wonderful new year :)

    ReplyDelete